Have Ewe Any Wool?

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Basket Weaving!

I haven't woven a basket since the very easy one I did in Girl Scouts nearly half a century ago!   (And that's a LONG time!!!!!)   Back then, we used a wooden plywood base and created our "weaving frame" by bringing the reeds through the holes in the base and up for the warp and then weaving with additional reeds as the weft. 

The Round Hill Arts Center offered a one day class where we would be making a bread basket during the 3-4 hr. class.   It was wonderful!   The instructor was great and she pre-cut a lot of the pieces to facilitate speed.  I can't imagine how long this would have taken if we all had to cut our own reeds.

My fingers looked like prunes when I was done, but I had a great basket when the process was all said and done!   I love it!



(The basket used several types of reeds and braided grass, as well as custom leather straps.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home